Blogs can be very useful in teaching for several reasons. Firstly it could be used to streamline education. For example if I was teaching an 8th grade course in history. I could have a blog laid out and post homework and course assignments directly to that blog. I also would have the ability to post links to related information that the student could use to better understand the topics being covered such as YouTube videos.
Another plus side to using blogs for teaching are that students can post their homework directly to their own blogs and it can facilitate more of a learning community rather then the normal everyday lecture style that has to be used in most classrooms simply because of time restraints. It also makes connecting with the teacher simpler for the student, and allows for private correspondence as well. We have all hear the saying "the only stupid question is the question you don't ask". However generally it is my belief that students, especially older children refrain from asking some questions in class simply for fear of being looked poorly upon by their peers.
Finally a blog would give parents the ability to monitor their students progress and what tey are currently learning in class. They would see assignments and feedback from the teacher in real time. Again it makes the teacher more accessible.
I like your ideas about using blogs in the classroom. Our students are so tech oriented having access to homework and assignments within a blog would be perfect.
ReplyDeleteI really like your idea about children posting their work to blogs! Parents can easily monitor their progress that way! Also having them post questions is also a great idea because I know most kids will not ask questions in class for fear of humiliation.
ReplyDeleteThese are all excellent ideas for using blogs as supplements to classroom instruction. A blog could also be used to provide students who are absent from class a means of following the lessons and benefiting from the discussions.
ReplyDeleteI love the idea of having a blog for my student. Social media and blogs make it much more interesting than a dry news letter.
ReplyDeleteI had a very similar viewpoint regarding a blog for a classroom. Students are already so comfortable with technology, and I feel that it may enhance student and teacher interaction, even if not face-to-face. As a parent myself, a teacher's blog that I could access that would keep me updated would be extremely beneficial. My daughter is in Kindergarten, and although her teacher does a great job providing information, as student's get older, they are expected to provide parents with vital information. It would be a great way to be sure parents were informed.
ReplyDelete